Monday, November 16, 2009

Reading Module: Monday November 16th, 2009

I remember the first day I stepped on this place and Mary shared some details of the S.I.T TESOL Course. I was so excited and I just remember her saying "Experienced teacher judge themselves a lot". Today, I could understand Why?
I was in the Reading Module Class. An This was my experience as a learner:

We were asked to read a letter. It was written in Russian. I have never had any kind of contact with that language. I felt as a beginner. I just could understand some numbers, puctuation marks and the format. Then, I was asked to read the same piece of writing but in Italian. This time I felt better but, I did not understand a lot. I just identified some cognates, more puctuation marks, and very global ideas infered from the cognates.
Later, I had the chance to read the letter in English. There were some idioms I could not understand. I really understood the whole text once I had the change to read it in my own native language.
It was really hard. I felt really bad when I could not understand anything in Russian.
Then, our trainer told us to think about how to teach according to the levels based on the strategies we had listed - FROM OUR OWN EXPERIENCE AS STUDENTS- Wordless! I had to cry! How unfair I had been to my students. How many students felt like I did! It definitely made me think about it. I have been teaching for 9 years, but today I learned something that is going to change my life as a teacher. I hope I can also change my students lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment